Monday, January 30, 2012

GF chocolate cupcakes

When we celebrated Rachel's birthday this weekend, I used my sister-in-law's recipe to make a delicious chocolate cake with mint chocolate chip ice cream in the middle per my daughter's request.  However, I was concerned with the number of people we might need some cupcakes to add to the mix and thought I would try this GF recipe made with coconut flour.  The cake did cover everyone until the dog decided he wanted a piece that had been left unguarded...so I pulled out a cupcake for the sweet nephew who had been robbed.  I've never tried these chocolate cupcakes before since Josiah can't do chocolate, but after tasting them I can say we'll be having them again often!  It will be easy to scoop out a vanilla cupcake or two for him before adding the cocoa, so long as I remember to do it.

Today Tropical Traditions is offering free shipping so it was a good time for me to stock up on coconut flour.  It looks expensive at first, but when you only use 1/2 c. or so at a time in recipes, it really lasts a long time.  I store it in the freezer because it loves to soak up liquid, perhaps not such a problem in the winter but I'm not sure how it would do on a humid summer day.

The benefits of coconut flour are high fiber and protein, along with B vitamins, iron, and magnesium.  It is really a nutrient dense food.  Add the eggs and you have even more protein--great for kids like my youngest who aren't big meat eaters.  The cupcakes are a filling and delicious treat, but I've also used it to make everything from bread to waffles.

Chocolate Coconut Flour Cupcakes

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Line cupcake tin with 12 paper liners
Makes 12 large cupcakes

1/2 cup coconut flour
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
6 eggs
1/2 cup melted butter, cooled
1 cup organic cane sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine all ingredients and beat on low until well combined. Turn mixer to medium and let it go for about two minutes or until the mixture starts to turn lighter and glossy.
Scoop batter evenly into the liners – they will be at least ¾ full. Bake approximately 25 minutes. Use a toothpick in the center to test for doneness. 

Frost with your favorite frosting.  There is one on Cha Cha's website (less sugar?) and I have used a powdered sugar frosting (way more sugar!!)

6 comments:

Karen said...

Hey Leah, I am baking these tonight for a birthday party tomorrow! Looking forward to how they taste! Thanks for posting it!

leah said...

They are still a favorite around here and came from Cha Cha's blog. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do. Have a great party!

Karen said...

They were done about 17 minutes into the time. toothpick came out clean. They are flat. I assume that is how they are supposed to look gluten free. Anyway, I hope they are great. I will decorate them in the morning. I did not see them on Cha Cha s blog when I went looking.

leah said...

They are pretty dense due to the coconut flour, but I am not sure about flat. Hope they work out. I just made some tonight, too.

Karen said...

They were really tasty. The tops were flat or dipped in the middle to form almost like a small bowl LOL. Not sure what happened there. The texture, taste and moisture was perfect. Everyone seemed to like them. Unfortunately, my kids seemed to want to lick the icing more than eat the cake. They have never been big cake eaters. Oh well, I will make this recipe again. I posted your blog on my facebook page so others can enjoy too! So yummy, thanks again!

leah said...

I'm glad they were good! Not sure what happened, either. My mom would still rather eat frosting than cake. :)